Have you ever found that you start an activity full of determination and energy and as time goes by, you slowly get more and more discouraged?
Maybe some aspects of that activity are more complicated than you expected or the emotion from the first moment has been lost.
If you’ve reached this article, you’re definitely feeling a bit discouraged about learning English. You don’t want to abandon it altogether, which is why you’re looking for encouragement.
We’re here to encourage you and to tell you how to recover your motivation to learn English.
Lacking Motivation to Learn English?
Losing motivation can happen with many things in life: a career, a job, physical training, relationships, and so on. And, if it can happen with all these things, why should it be strange to lose the motivation to study English?
So, the first thing you should know is that you aren’t alone. Many people find themselves unmotivated at times.
Why do we get discouraged? There are several reasons for this. Keep in mind that everyone is not necessarily affected by the same things.
- It could be your study method. It can be tiring to spend a long time studying, whether you’re self-taught or attending a class in an academy with fixed schedules.
- Your class or teacher may go slower or faster than you need. Maybe they don’t follow the same pace at which you would feel most comfortable. This can quickly become frustrating and is one of the reasons that many people leave their studies.
- Maybe you’re having trouble seeing the reasons why improving your English level is a good idea. This may be because you’ve lost focus, because your life has changed or, simply, because your course isn’t showing you the benefits of proficiency in this language.
The Importance of Motivation in Learning English
Maybe you feel unmotivated because of the reasons we mentioned above or for other reasons.
There is something that is always true, though: Motivation is a decisive factor in learning a language or in undertaking any activity in life.
When it comes to weighing the importance of being motivated, knowing some of the benefits of studying English – or any second language – is helpful.
That’s why we’re going to tell you what studying English can do for you, beyond being able to help you develop in that language.
- Your brain will work differently and more efficiently than that of a person who only speaks one language.
- It will help you develop multitasking skills (performing several tasks at the same time).
- Learning a language is an incredible ally for memory development and maintenance.
- It helps delay the onset of mental illnesses such as dementia and Alzheimer’s.
To all this is added to the fact that English is the universal language. This means knowing it will give you the ability to travel anywhere in the world and speak with anyone you might meet. This is perfect when it comes to solving problems abroad, expanding your work and academic opportunities, and enriching your world.
Those are definitely some motivating benefits. Don’t you agree?
How to Stay Motivated When Learning English
Now that we’ve managed to reignite your excitement to study English, let’s see what you can do to keep it from going out again.
First of all, we recommend that you don’t go it alone. Just as there are many unmotivated people, there are also many who keep their motivation from the first day. That motivation is contagious, so take advantage of it!
Now you might say, “But I’ve been studying in an academy surrounded by classmates,” “I don’t seem to fit into the group,” or “I don’t have the time to continue with these fixed hours.”
One good solution for almost all those problems is an online course. This is currently the way that thousands of people are choosing to learn around the world.
Studying online allows you to adapt the classes to your schedule and free time. At the same time, you can still take advantage of having follow-ups from a teacher and meeting other students.
Unlike studying alone and only with books, you can find excellent options online. One example of this is the grammar videos that make learning more straightforward and dynamic.
There are even free video classes out there which you can use to explore this new methodology.
Motivational Quotes About Learning English
To not end there, we’ll leave you with some motivational quotes in English. These will help ensure that the emotion of learning languages will never die.
“Knowledge of languages is the doorway to wisdom.” ―Roger Bacon
“A different language is a different vision of life.” ―Federico Fellini
“With languages, you are at home anywhere.” ―Edmund de Waal
Do you want to explore a new way of studying English? Do you want to follow a motivational and customized learning program?
Why not take our online course? ABA English offers you 144 free video classes and the same number of short films. They will help you learn English using an intuitive and natural method that highlights communication without sacrificing grammatical accuracy. What are you waiting for?