Learning a new language has its difficulties and there is no right or wrong answer as to what is the best way to learn as every individual has their own learning style. In today’s lesson, Teacher Robin gives us some very useful tips for when it comes to trying to learn English faster. Check out her class here before reading on:
Good organisational skills are a must…
It sounds like an old cliché, however being organised when it comes to studying and improving when learning a language is one of the best things you can do for yourself. This not only keeps you on track but will also help keep you motivated to study as you will always know where you are on your language journey. Some top tips to stay organised when studying English are:
- Study everyday or at least 4 times a week.
- Keep your studying time short to a maximum of one hour.
- Don’t allow yourself to have distractions nearby when studying English.
You should always be looking for ways to make your studying more organised and neat to make sure you are getting the maximum benefit of the time you spend. Check out these great ideas to ensure you are fully benefitting from your time:
- Use a notebook
- Keep a word list
- Look up any new words you don’t understand
- Keep a list of phrasal verbs
- Review vocabulary on a daily basis
What is the trick to improving listening skills?
Everyone is always looking for shortcuts to perfect different skills, but the truth is that it is time, patience and a lot of hard work. If you want to improve your English listening skills at a faster pace than your peers, you have to put more work in than them. Listening to more English more often is the key. Instead of watching television you should do the following:
- Watch television programmes in English.
- If you cannot watch a whole programme in English, start at 15 minutes then gradually build up to the whole programme.
- Try to watch without subtitles or if you want subtitles, try to put them on in English and practise your reading skills at the same time.
- Watch films or series that you’re already familiar with.
These are great ways that you can use resources you have all around you to practise without having to leave your house. Did you know that ABA English can also help you improve your listening skills? When you download the ABA English application on your phone or tablet you can do the following straight away:
- Register as a Free student or become Premium right away.
- Watch the ABA films.
- Watch the video classes which teach you about grammar.
As if the ABA online course were not already awesome enough, did you know that we also offer you a weekly podcast from our fun teachers Nikki, Del and George. In fact, let’s have a listen to Nikki and George giving you some more great tips about how you can study English more efficiently to improve quicker:
These podcasts are not only a great way to keep on tops of your English and learn new grammar, but they are also short and if you listen to one on a daily basis, it will take less than 5 minutes of your day.
Are there any other useful tips to improve listening?
Like we mentioned previously, watching television shows or films that you are familiar with is a great idea, but have you thought about watching the news too? Not only is this a great way to improve your English, but you are also keeping up to date with current affairs from around the world. Check out these cool tips:
- Choose a British or American news channel and watch it on a regular basis to get familiarise yourself with the accent.
- Choose the type of news channel you wish to follow in English so that you not only get international news, but also news from your area too.
- Turn on the radio and choose a station and leave it playing in the background. By doing this you will be subconsciously learning and hearing English without having to pay attention to it.
These tips to keep yourself up to date with the world and improving your English at the same time are a sure fire way to stay on top of your language learning. Additionally, music is a great way to make sure you continuously improve your listening comprehension of the English language. We’re certain there are many songs you like in English but maybe you don’t know the words. Well, make that change today! This will benefit your skills through the following:
- You will be able to download the lyrics and check their meaning so that you now know what you are singing every time you hear the song.
- You will be able to play your favourite songs over and over and finally understand their meaning.
- Lastly, you will also be able to sing along and finally be able to do it without ever getting any of the words wrong.
If I want to improve my reading skills, what is the best way to go about it?
Do you think that you read enough English to make sure that you are making steady progress in your reading and understanding ability? If you don’t, you are in luck today because we have some great tips which are sure to help you improve these skills much quicker. Have a quick read over them:
- Change your computer or phone settings to English so that you are constantly exposed to English every time you use either.
- Read newspapers in English instead of your native language to keep up to date with current affairs but to also make sure you continue to improve your level of reading comprehension in English.
- Attempt to read online articles and blogs in English.
- Try to read books that you are familiar with in English as you will already have an understanding of what has happened in the book and will be able to follow along okay. After this, attempt to read a book in English that you have never read before.
What about Speaking and writing? Are there any great tips?
If you are not fortunate enough to be able to travel to practise your level of spoken English, there are still many ways you can practise in your home country. Try to find local English language conversation clubs in your home town or city to attend so that you can practise conversational English with your fellow attendees. If you are free to try other options, you can consider the following:
- Visit an English speaking country and talk as much as you can to get the most out of your visit.
- When you are there, try to meet as many local people as you can and try to stay in contact with them so that you can do video calls to allow you to continue to practise your spoken English with them, even if it is just once a week.
By adhering to these top tips, you are certain to improve your English speaking level at a good rate. English, as many people are aware, can be tricky when it comes to spelling and writing. ABA English has some great tips to help you improve your writing. Have a read over them here:
- Use post-it notes to label some items in your home with their English name so that you become familiar with the vocabulary and spelling of those objects in English. You will subconsciously memorise them.
- ABA Premium students are encouraged to write to their teacher on a weekly basis. This ensures writing practice at least once a week.
- Try your best to write emails in English.
These are the most important writing tips, but be sure to remember that there are still many other things you can do to supplement the improvement of your writing skill in English.
Am I sure to learn English faster by doing all of this?
Your learning depends on how much you want to put into it. In other words, if you want to learn English faster, you will. It is your responsibility to make sure you try to incorporate as many of our suggestions to your daily life to ensure your English improves at a faster speed. The more of our suggestions that your take on board, the better you will become in a shorter period of time.
Don’t forget that ABA is here to help you improve and that you can sign up as a free student to the ABA English complete online course. By doing this you will gain access to 144 grammar based video classes that you can watch as many times as you need to help you understand English grammar. Additionally if you wish to have your own individual teacher to help you with your learning, remember you will be assigned one upon becoming a Premium student. Now is not the time to let English hold you back! Sign up to the ABA English course today and start improving your level of English.